What is Recovery?
Each patient carries his own doctor inside him. They come to us not knowing that
truth. We are at our best when we give the doctor who resides within each patient a
chance to go to work.
— Albert Schweitzer, From Reverence for Life, 1993
There are libraries full of information on addiction, but what about “recovery”. The definition of “what defines recovery” began to be challenged and calls for a shift in paradigm over the last ten years. Here is the definition of recovery put forth by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (www.nida.nih.gov) US Department of Health and Human Services Substance Abuse and Mental Health Service Administration (www.SAMHSA.gov) and information from Center for Substance Abuse Treatment (http://www.csat.samhsa.gov). Working Definition of Recovery
Perhaps a good description of recovery would be the following from the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, pp #83-84 ,and commonly called The Promises:
• If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through.
• We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness.
• We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.
• We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace.
• No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others.
• That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear.
• We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows.
• Self-seeking will slip away.
• Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change.
• Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us.
• We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us.
• We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.
• Are these extravagant promises? We think not.
• They are being fulfilled among us-sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly.
• They will always materialize if we work for them.
and listen to Katie as she describes The Last Story!
When we understand that God is good, God is all, The universe is friendly and everything is here to serve you; everything is for you!